Caution: monthly cost adds $40-$122 to your bill
Members often call in during the winter months asking why their bill has increased so sharply. One potential culprit surprises some: space heaters. Space heaters actually use quite a bit of electricity, so turning down your furnace and using one of these for zone heating instead is unlikely to save you money. If you want to learn how much your space heater will cost you, check out our HomeEnergySuite of tools. The Space Heater Calculator will spit out about how much your warm friend is costing you each month. Simply enter the average cost of your electricity, which is 0.113 cents, and the number of hours you use the space heater each day.
If you still decide to use a space heater, please use it safely. The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) estimates that more than 25,000 residential fires every year are associated with space heaters. Stay safe by following these five key tips.
- Keep the heater at least 3 feet from flammable items such as curtains, furniture, or bedspreads.
- Buy a heater that can handle the area that you want to heat.
- Keep children and pets away from space heaters.
- Never go to sleep with a space heater on.
- Do not use an extension cord with a space heater.