The low-income home energy assistance program (LIHEAP) was established to help qualifying, low-income Iowa homeowners and renters pay for a portion of their primary heating costs for the winter heating season. The assistance is based on household income, household size, type of fuel, and type of housing. LIHEAP applications are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis and also serve as an application for the Weatherization Assistance Program.
If you are not sure where to apply, please call your local community action agency (CAA) or write to: LIHEAP, Iowa Department of Human Rights, Capitol Complex, Des Moines, IA 50319. A list of CAAs can be found at https://humanrights.iowa.gov/dcaa/where-apply.
HOW TO APPLY FOR LIHEAP
When to Apply
- Elderly (60 and over) and/or disabled: October 1, 2017, to April 30, 2018
- All other households: November 1, 2017, to April 30, 2018
What to Take
- Proof of income (for all household members age 19 and over)
- Check stubs from the previous 30 days, award letter from Social Security, or 2016 tax return
- Social Security numbers for all household members (documentation required)
- Recent heat bill
- Recent electric bill
- Please bring copies of your check stubs for the 30-day period preceding the date of application, or a copy of your federal income tax return.
- This income may include: Social Security benefits, Supplemental Security Income, Family Investment Program, veterans’ assistance, unemployment insurance, and pensions. Please bring copies of your check stubs from the previous 30 days.
- Please bring a copy of your most recent federal income tax return.
- Please bring your current DHS Notice of Decision or contact your local office for acceptable document information.
If you receive alimony or child support, it will also need to be verified.